Saturday, March 28, 2015

one thing at a time

I try to do too many things at once. Not even just in a multi-tasking-myth way, but in a project way. I am trying to, all at once:

  • Write a short interactive story on a quasi-weekly basis (not going so well)
  • Make/modify a CSS stylesheet for my Twine stories (also not going so well)
  • Complete Codecademy’s JavaScript course (not going at all)
  • Read more books (going splendidly)
  • Do more crafts (not too shabby)

This is the problem when you enjoy having done things more than the actual process of doing them. Reading is inherently fun for me, and crafts are easy to do while watching cheesy old space dramas with my roommate (Andromeda may not be that old, but it sure is cheesy). Writing is fun, but more time and attention intensive. The coding…well, if there’s a mirror universe me who codes for a living, I doubt she lives very well.

This is all a very long-winded way of writing myself into putting the JavaScript course on hold for awhile. I do think knowing JavaScript would help me with Twine, but I don’t have to know JavaScript to do what I want to do.

I should probably put the stylesheet attempts on hold too. The Simple Box stylesheet from Glorious Trainwrecks suits my mini-stories well enough. I’ll need different stylesheets for my larger projects, but I’m not going to be ready to seriously work on them for awhile, so that’s okay.

So there we go. Read more books, do more crafts, and focus on writing one short interactive story a we– let’s say month. One interactive story a month. That’s more manageable.

Now let me get back to work on this story about a butch femme fatale and “please” & “thank you” as literally magic words…

No comments:

Post a Comment