Thursday, March 12, 2015

doing the thing

I’m trying a thing.

Trying things does not usually go very well. I try a lot of things, get distracted, forget, life happens, etc. But I figure, if that’s not the human condition, then it’s certainly the rich-enough-to-have-constant-internet-access-and-time-to-be-distracted condition. And so I continue.

My current Thing is this – Monstrous Fictions. I’ve recently begun to dabble in Interactive Fiction, mostly in the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style. And I really like it. I could babble about the reasons, but that’s another post entirely. Suffice it to say, I want to keep doing it. And I want to do it better. Twine is a fantastic program, but it takes a lot of tinkering with CSS to make the end result look nice. It also relies heavily on Javascript, a programming language which I do not speak. Or write. Or read. Level of fluency? Zero.

This blog is (will be) a record of my trials & tribulations while I study CSS & Javascript, as well as share my interactive stories.

I’m also interested in learning how to make these stories accessible. I’ve heard a lot about how accessibility is an afterthought for most people, and I don’t want that to be the case with me. It’s going to be more of an adventure than I’d thought before spending a half hour trying to learn to use VoiceOver.

This blog is (will be) a record of that too.

Zhu Li in mecha with text Im doing the thing

No comments:

Post a Comment