Wednesday, March 18, 2015

An Assassin Needs Lunch

Play Online | Download HTML File

A vampire assassin is thinking about lunch when a client walks in.

Background

This is a variation on a MadLib — you get to make a bunch of choices at the beginning, and then read the story that is created from your input. It was a really interesting format for me to write…even if that’s kind of hard to tell, because the story and the writing style are really rough. But this is a practice piece.

The point of this exercise for me was two-fold: first, learn how to make an attractive character creation page. I only partially succeeded, but I learned a lot in the process. The second was how to have a lot of complicated variables interact without completely falling apart. Originally it was going to be even more complicated, with the option to choose from numerous gender identities and sexual preferences. That turned into a hot mess really quickly, so I ended up cutting out a bunch. The game now randomizes the PC’s gender identity (between male and female, with apologies to non-binary players), and you can choose between being pansexual, being asexual, or having the game choose for you.

The main thing I’ve taken away from this whole experience is that I need to do it a lot more before I can work on a longer story with complex variables.

Also, JavaScript is finnicky as fuck. Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment